This strawberry blueberry trifle recipe requires zero baking and it takes about 30 min to make! The sweet/tartness of the fruit, melt-in-your-mouth soft angel food cake and lightly sweetened cream come together so well.
- 17 oz angel food cake, cut into 1" cubes (about 1 1/2 blocks)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 lb fresh blueberries
Lemon Syrup Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, from 1/2 medium lemon
- 2 packages, 8 oz each cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
What you will need:
- 4 or 5 qt trifle dish or make it in a 9x13 casserole dish.
How to Make Lemon Syrup:
- In a measuring cup, combine 1/4 cup water, 2 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp lemon juice and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside until needed.
How to Make the Trifle Cream:
- Beat together 1 lb cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar (with the whisk attachment) on medium speed until creamy and smooth, scraping the bowl a couple times. With mixer on, pour in 2 cups heavy cream then turn mixer to medium/high and continue beating until until whipped and fluffy. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and beat until incorporated.
Assembling the Berry Trifle:
- Place 1/3 of your sliced angel food cake into the bottom of your trifle dish and brush with 1/3 of your syrup. Add 1/3 of your cream and loosely spread it over cake pieces. Add 1/2 of the sliced strawberries. Repeat with remaining ingredients (adding 1/2 of the blueberries for the second fruit layer). Frost the top with last 1/3 of cream and decorate with remaining fruit. (Visit my blog for a closer look at the order of the cake layers).
Important: This cake is best served the same day it's made. Refrigerate until ready to eat.